Therefore it is necessary once again to make those Feng Shui changes around your home or business to ensure that you and your loved ones continue to be surrounded with beneficial ch’i and good fortune.
As we all know, invisible energies exist in our environment and they can be positive and enhance our well-being and prosperity, or they can be negative and cause bad health and misfortune.
These energies are dynamic and change over time in a cyclical manner, so in order to ensure that things remain harmonious it is necessary to locate and attend to the annual energies at the beginning of every year.
This year the Lunar New Year falls on the 28th January, but the shift of annual Feng Shui energies is always based on the Hsia or Chinese Solar calendar and thus the Year of the Fire Rooster will commence on the 3rd of February.
Lo Shu Chart for 2017
Each year there are four big Sha (煞氣 bad energy) and four lucky Stars which we should pay particular attention to. These four Sha have the power to over-ride any Flying Stars, regardless of how good the Chart of your home or business is.
The three Sha are called the Grand Duke or Tai Sui (太歲), the Three-Killings or San Sha (三煞), the Year Breaker or Sui Po and the 5 Yellow Star (五黃).
On the other hand, the four positive energies to support and activate are the Lucky Stars 8, 9, 1 and 6. So if you avoid the big Sha ch’i, activate the Star 6 (power), Star 1 (promotion) and Stars 8 and 9 (money), you will increase your potential for the coming year. Here are the positions for the good and bad energies in the Year of the Fire Rooster.
- Star 1 is located in the Tai Ji or Central Palace of your home and signifies promotion and growth. This is also auspicious for academic success and recognition
- If possible you may place a bowl of clear water in the Central Palace, but remember to keep it clean and fresh
- Star 2 is located in the North West sector and can bring sickness, loss and obstacles
- Hang a strand of six metal coins or place a metal Wu Lou Gourd or other large metal decorative object in the North West sector of your home or business.
- Take extra care of your health if your main entrance is located in the North West sector.
- Star 3 is located in the West sector and can bring quarrels, conflict, legal problems and theft.
- Place a lamp or a red object in this location
- The Grand Duke or Tai Sui is also located in the West so groundbreaking and renovation should be avoided in the West 2 sector (262.5° – 277.5°)
- Star 4 is located in the North East sector and brings the potential for romance and academic success
- Place a healthy, vibrant plant in this location
- Star 5 is located in the South sector and can bring misfortune, financial problems, sickness and even sudden death
- Therefore keep the South sector clean and tidy and remove any active objects such as an aquarium or water feature
- Make sure this area is not dark or cluttered and check that it is well lit and ventilated in order to help disperse the bad energy
- If your bedroom is located in the South sector then you should sleep in another room this year if possible
- To further combat this bad energy place a large metal object in the South sector of your home or business
- Alternately you can place a salt water remedy in this location. This can be done by sitting a glass bowl or jar onto a terracotta or ceramic saucer. Pour rock salt in the bowl until it reaches around 1/3 full and then carefully place 6 Chinese coins on top of the salt in a circle
- Place an additional coin of a different denomination (not your own currency) in the centre of the Chinese coins
- Fill the glass bowl to the top with water, making sure that the coins are fully covered
- Replenish the water regularly as it evaporates, but be careful not to disturb the coins or salt crystals that have formed
- Star 6 is located in the North sector and represents power and promotion
- This star may also bring about travel, especially for the father of the house
- To activate this area place 6 x 20 cent coins with the heads facing upwards in this sector (you can also use 6 Chinese coins).
- Make sure that you wash the coins first
- Star 7 is located in the South West and can bring gossip, sex scandal and robbery
- It is also known as a ﬁre hazard star and is particularly inauspicious to have in your kitchen.
- If you do then be extra careful with all of your cooking activities this year
- To combat this troublesome energy place a glass vase of fresh flowers or 3 to 4 pieces of Chinese Water Bamboo in this location
- Star 8 is located in the East and this auspicious energy brings wealth and prosperity
- Sleeping in a bedroom in the East may also enhance your opportunities to make money
- However the East also overlaps with San Sha and Sui Po, so groundbreaking and renovation should be avoided in this location
- To activate this area in 2017 it is best to place a lamp, or light candles or incense here
- Star 9 is located in the South East and is another auspicious star for wealth and happiness
- To activate this area in 2017 place a small water feature, lamp, or light candles or incense here
- Sleeping in a bedroom in the South East may also enhance your chances of romance
When implementing your annual remedies or activating the auspicious influences, please remember that it is not always necessary or possible to address every area of your home or business. You should also be mindful of the Flying Star energies which are present in each Palace, according to the Natal Chart.
Therefore you should firstly take care of the Grand Duke (太歲), Three-Killings (三煞), Sui Po and 5 Yellow Star (五黃) and then focus on supporting or activating those aspects of your life that are most important to you.
The Grand Duke – Tai Sui
2017 is the Year of the Rooster (酉) which means that the annual energy comes to our homes and businesses from the West. Therefore this year the energy known as the Grand Duke or Tai Sui is located in the Mountain of West 2 (262.5° – 277.5°), or the Rooster (酉).
In Chinese mythology the Tai Sui （太岁）is actually a position in the celestial heavens which determines the annual fortunes of all mortal beings for a particular year. A person’s happiness, health, luck and fortune are all under the jurisdiction of the Grand Duke or Tai Sui and hence he serves to remind us all to avoid misdeeds, carry out charitable activities and take care of our health.
General Tang Jie (唐杰) is the Tai Sui or Grand Duke for the Rooster year and it is he who gives trials to the afflicted Zodiac signs. Therefore each year it pays to heed the location of the annual Tai Sui so as not to disturb or offend him, as this can bring misfortune and problems. It is also not advisable to move into a house that faces towards the Grand Duke, which for 2017 is of course the West.
- Avoid renovations or major changes in the West 2 sector (262.5° – 277.5°) during the coming year. If this sector is disturbed then you are likely to experience many problems including arguments and illness. If there is no choice with regard to renovation or repairs to your home, then ensure that you commence and finish all work in the adjoining sectors
- Alternately a special date and time can be selected for groundbreaking, renovation or moving in, but this requires the skill of an experienced Feng Shui Master
- Never sit facing the Grand Duke or sleep with your head pointing towards his direction, as this is said to be confronting him and may lead to misfortune and problems
Appease the Grand Duke by placing his pet, the Pi Xiu in the affected sector or by wearing the Pi Xiu pendant as an amulet
- Alternately you can also place the figurine of a Rooster or Dragon Tortoise in the West 2 sector and face it towards the Grand Duke, as this is another simple way to harmonize the influence and ensure his support
San Sha – Three Killings
The Three Killings or San Sha is one of the major annual afflictions in Feng Shui and is a very challenging combination of three energies – namely the Year Sha (Sui Sha), the Robbery Sha (Jie Sha) and the Disaster Sha (Zai Sha).
Obstacles that set you back may be caused by the Year Sha; wealth losses may be due to the Robbery Sha and frequent mishaps and misfortunes could be brought on by the Disaster Sha. Hence it is good practice to find out the location of this incoming energy each year and treat it accordingly.
During 2017 the San Sha is located in the East sector between 67.5 to 112.5 degrees. Therefore it is very important that the ground or location in which this energy resides should not be disturbed. Therefore don’t undertake any renovations in this part of the house or garden; avoid drilling or hammering and try not to sit with your back towards the East.
If the East sector and San Sha are disturbed then the consequences may include accidents, health issues, lawsuit, financial disaster, mishaps and possibly a string of hidden problems which bring trouble all year long.
So keep the East sector undisturbed and place three Celestial Guardians in this location to repress any misfortune. These can be 3 small golden Dragon Horse (known as Chi Lin) or a set of Fu Dog, Chi Lin and Pi Yao.
Sui Po – Year Breaker Star
The Year Breaker Star or Sui Po is always located in the position directly opposite the Grand Duke.
As such it is known as the Star which clashes with the Grand Duke and should be treated with the same degree of caution.
Therefore once again groundbreaking and renovation should be avoided in the East sector of your home or business during 2017. Most specifically this should not be done in the Mountain of East 2 or Rabbit (卯) which lies between 82.5 to 97.5 degrees.
So it’s time to get started with your Chinese New Year cleaning so that you are ready to make those changes and embrace the Year of the Fire Rooster on the 3rd of February. Gong Xi Fa Cai and I hope that 2017 brings you much happiness, health and prosperity!
All enquiries regarding annual Feng Shui or Chinese Astrology updates please contact me on [email protected] or 0402 688 888.